Now more than ever it's important to keep your equipment clean and sanitized, especially your new batting helmet. Every now and then you can rub it down with a sanitation wipe to take care of any dirt or sweat stains that may form. But sometimes you will want to do a deeper clean. Here is a quick and easy way to give your helmet a good wash down. First you will need two or three microfiber or soft-cloth rags, a small bucket or large bowl, and a bottle of non-petroleum based shampoo (we recommend any brand of baby shampoo)
1. Get a small bucket of warm water and soak and then ring-out one of your soft-cloth rags.
2. Wrap the helmet in the warm rag and leave it there for 15-20 minutes. This will soak up and loosen in hard debris stuck to the outside of the helmet.
3. Remove the rag from the helmet and soak again in warm water. Ring it out a little, and then wipe down the exterior of the helmet.
4. With a dry rag, wipe down the helmet to avoid the formation of water stains.
5. Now that the exterior is clean we can clean the inside of the helmet. Soak a rag in warm water and ring out. Then add in a dab or two of baby shampoo and rub into the rag.
6. Rub the inside of the helmet down with the rag. Let the helmet sit for 1-2 minutes.
7. Rinse all of the shampoo out of the rag. Then wipe the inside of the helmet down once again with the wet rag.
8. With a dry rag, wipe down the inside of the helmet one more time.
Taking the time to properly clean your helmet will keep it clean and keep you safe all season long. Be sure to check out other tips we have on how to properly sanitize all of your baseball equipment.