Batting Helmet Safety Guidelines
If you are in the market for a new batting helmet, follow these tips from Baseball Express on how to pick out a helmet just right for you and how to take care of it properly to keep it performance ready for multiple seasons.
Finding a batting helmet with the perfect balance of comfort and protection can be key to having a successful at-bat. Make sure you are buying the correct size for yourself or for your player. The proper batting helmet can vary based on a player's height, weight, and even if they are batting left or right-handed. If you are unsure how to measure yourself for a helmet, consult our Batting Helmet Sizing Guide. This will point you in the right direction.
And if you have a preferred brand, Baseball Express has you covered as we carry the most popular brands including Easton, Rawlings, Mizuno, Under Armour, and more.
Now more than ever it's important to keep your equipment clean and sanitized, especially your new batting helmet. Every now and then you can rub it down with a sanitation wipe to take care of any dirt or sweat stains that may form. But sometimes you will want to do a deeper clean. Here is a quick and easy way to give your helmet a good wash down. First you will need two or three microfiber or soft-cloth rags, a small bucket or large bowl, and a bottle of non-petroleum based shampoo (we recommend any brand of baby shampoo)
1. Get a small bucket of warm water and soak and then ring-out one of your soft-cloth rags.
2. Wrap the helmet in the warm rag and leave it there for 15-20 minutes. This will soak up and loosen in hard debris stuck to the outside of the helmet.
3. Remove the rag from the helmet and soak again in warm water. Ring it out a little, and then wipe down the exterior of the helmet.
4. With a dry rag, wipe down the helmet to avoid the formation of water stains.
5. Now that the exterior is clean we can clean the inside of the helmet. Soak a rag in warm water and ring out. Then add in a dab or two of baby shampoo and rub into the rag.
6. Rub the inside of the helmet down with the rag. Let the helmet sit for 1-2 minutes.
7. Rinse all of the shampoo out of the rag. Then wipe the inside of the helmet down once again with the wet rag.
8. With a dry rag, wipe down the inside of the helmet one more time.
Taking the time to properly clean your helmet will keep it clean and keep you safe all season long. Be sure to check out other tips we have on how to properly sanitize all of your baseball equipment.
More and more players are opting for the added protection of a jaw guard, both amateur and professional players alike. Jaw guards allow extra protection of the jaw and mouth while not hindering a player's site as they bat. This can be bought as an addition to your batting helmet, or some even have the added protection built-in. If you already have a helmet and just want the jaw guard, check out our video on how to easily add it to your helmet.
There are sure to be other guidelines your league wants you to follow this year. Be sure to check your league's website before and during the year for any and all updates to keep playing all season.
- RIP-IT Vision Pro Fastpitch Batting Helmet With MaskList price: $69.99 $49.97 Price: $49.97 You save: $20.02 (28.6%)